Click here to register for Holistic Medicine for Addiction® (HMA®). For more information, please scroll down.
Overview of Holistic Medicine for Addiction®
Online training for professionals
“If you want to know medicine, know addiction.” Source unknown, USA, 1987.
It’s been nearly 40 years since I was first introduced to addiction medicine. For the past 31 of those years, I’ve specialized in the treatment of ”food addiction,” which I now call sugar/carb addiction (referring to sugar as any type of sugar, sweetener, carbohydrates, processed and ultra-processed foods). In that time, I have treated thousands of clients and trained hundreds of professionals in sugar addiction treatment. In 2012, I created a one-year training program on Holistic Medicine for Addiction® (HMA®) for professionals who counsel people affected by sugar, carbohydrates, and processed foods. Initially taught only in Swedish, but since 2018, I teach HMA® in English, drawing students from across the globe.
What is Holistic Medicine for Addiction® (HMA®)?
Holistic Medicine for Addiction® is an online course which integrates multiple addiction treatment paradigms necessary to see and understand the ”big picture” of addiction. It prepares professionals to treat their clients as whole people while addressing all aspects of their disease. HMA® covers topics of traditional medicine, neuroscience-based addiction medicine, metabolic medicine, low-carb, high-fat/keto eating patterns, integrative/orthomolecular medicine, relapse prevention, support groups and more. I call it connecting the dots – addiction is a very complex and confusing brain illness.
In this course, you will learn about the American Society of Addiction Medicine’s definition of addiction, which is based on neuroscience and the central roles that nutrition and the brain play in this disease. You will learn how to build a successful treatment plan based on neuroscience, and you will receive tools to help you lead your clients on the path to lifelong recovery.
Here you will acquire unique knowledge and a holistic view of addiction. The main focus of this course is on sugar/carb addiction because those substances are usually the starting point of all addiction development. However, the training also includes Addiction Interaction Disorder and screening for alcohol, subscription drugs, street drugs, and gambling addiction.
Who is eligible for this course?
Healthcare professionals, SUGAR® and ADDIS® certified/licensed professionals, doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, addiction counselors, obesity and nutritional counselors, dietitians, health educators, naturopaths, personal trainers, coaches, social workers, psychologists, and other mental health therapists, etc. If you have another background and want to expand your knowledge in addiction medicine, please submit an application or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
If interested, please complete and submit a training registration form to apply for participation in this program. The application will ask for information on your addiction knowledge, educational background, professional skills, and work experience. Similarly, recovering addicts wishing to participate are asked to complete this same form, detailing their recovery experience and professional background. Acceptance to the course will be determined by application information and a personal interview. As soon as I receive the registration, I will contact you for a live Zoom meeting to discuss details and answer questions.
Topics covered in 2024
- Detoxification/withdrawal from sugar and other addictive food substances
- Biochemical repair of the brain: What it is, and how to provide this key service
- Mitochondrial fatigue and restoration
- The addicted brain – disease concept
- Addiction memory circuit and euphoric recall, craving management
- Knowledge of the brain and the brain’s nutritional needs
- Nutrition from A to Z, including a food plan for the addicted brain and a discussion of the similarities and differences between different “abstinent” food plans. We work with LCHF/ketogenic food plans for sugar addicts.
- PUFA and how they act in the boty and how to remove them and heal
- Understanding and treating hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome
- Sugar’s effect on the brain, ”cerebral glucose hypometabolism”
- Sugar’s effect on every organ in the body
- Treatment of obesity and type 2 diabetes
- Sugar sensitivity; harmful use vs. pathological use
- Addiction interaction disorder: One illness, many outlets
- Various expressions of sugar addiction, such as volume eating, bingeing, purging, dieting, excessive exercise, restriction, etc. (process addictions)
- Oxytocin’s role, especially with respect to volume eating
- Cue-induced cravings versus stress-induced cravings
- How to stop loss of control and destructive coping strategies
- Lifelong treatment, by stage
- Why professional group and support groups
- The role of conscious breathing in recovery
- The role of shame in addiction
- Relapse prevention and treatment
- Behavioral changes, thoughts, feelings, urges and actions
- Recovery skills
- Why group work with addicts is more effective than to one-on-one
- Risk situations and hidden warning signs, how to manage
- Effective screening and assessment of consequences
- Initial evaluation, treatment planning, and monitoring
- Transition planning and follow-up evaluation
- Strategies to avoid burn-out when working with this challenging client population
- Guidelines for setting up a practice to begin working with clients
- Knowledge, skills, and competencies necessary to effectively care for clients and maximize their success
- Stress-coping strategies
When to begin:
January is the ideal time to start this annual course. However, it is possible to join at other points during the year because all live lectures are recorded for ongoing, 24/7 access.
- SUGAR® certification training and licensure is highly recommended as a complement to the HMA® course. Although SUGAR® training (with certification and licensure) is optional, it’s highly recommended as the foundation of comprehensive client treatment. Please click here for detailed information on SUGAR® certification training, the only diagnostic tool, based on ICD-10 and DSM-5. Please note that an additional 20% discount is available for taking both HMA® and SUGAR® certification courses within 12 months.
Director: Bitten Jonsson, RN, addiction specialist, ACRPS with CENAPS, SUGAR® and ADDIS® certified.
Lecturers and guest lecturers:
- New advanced curriculum in 2024!
- Paul Earley, MD, former president of ASAM, FASAM, author of Recovery Mind Training and Recovery Skills Manual. paulearley.net
- Börje Dahl, Bachelor of Science in social work, CEO at Dahl & Dahl, a specialist in addiction and synthetic drugs sold via the internet. ADDIS®, GAMES® certification/licensing. www.addis.se www.dahlochdahl.se
- Anders Olsson, breathing expert, author and lecturer, www.consciousbreathing.com
- Kerstin Uvnäs Moberg, Professor, MD, oxytocin specialist, www.kerstinuvnasmoberg.se
- Birgitta Brunes, MD, a specialist in multiple sclerosis and neuro nutrient therapies, brunes.se
- Anna Fruehling, sugar/processed food addiction specialist, Primal Health Coach, SUGAR® C/L
- Georgia Ede, MD, metabolic psychiatry. Specialist in keto for mental health, www.diagnosisdiet.com
- Julie Clark, certified carbohydrate addiction specialist, SUGAR® C/L, HMA®, Addiction and Bariatric Surgery, www.bariatricbreakthrough.com
- Peter Delannoy, PhD, health coach, specialty fructose, gout, and diabetes
- Sandra Palavecino, MD, metabolic and obesity specialist.
- Evelyne Bourdua-Roy, MD, specialist in metabolic health, sugar addiction, and diabetes.
- Professor Tim Noakes, The Nutrition Network, The Lore of Nutrition
- Robert Lustig, MD, Professor emeritus of pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology, UCSF, author of the new book Metabolical and more www.robertlustig.com
- John Cripps, ophthalmologist, Nutrition Network practitioner
- Sophie Rolland, neuroscientist
- Peter Wilhelmsson, naturopathic doctor
- Hayde Bolouri, senior neuroscientist
- Several former students of HMA share their knowledge
Relapse prevention and recovery
- Roger Nilson, MD, certified addiction interaction disorder specialist, sex and relationship addiction specialist, and more. SSRI/SNRI detox.
- David Wolfe, Reg.dietitian, sugar addiction coach, SUGAR C/L www.triggerfreenutrition.com
- SUGARx Global
- Paul Earley, MD, former president of ASAM, FASAM, author of Recovery Mind Training and Recovery Skills Manual.
- Roland Williams, MA, Master Addiction Counselor (MAC), Advanced Certified Relapse Prevention Specialist (ACRPS), LAADC, ICAADC, CADCII
- Judy Wolfe, certified food addiction and HMA® counselor, SUGAR® C/L
And more to be announced soon!
- Bitten Jonsson, RN, addiction specialist, SUGAR® and ADDIS® certified, ACRPS with CENAPS
- Börje Dahl, Bachelor of Science in Social Work, CEO at Dahl & Dahl, a specialist in addiction and synthetic drugs sold via the internet. ADDIS®, GAMES® certification/licensing. www.addis.se www.dahlochdahl.se
References HAM® & SUGAR® C/L
Judy Wolfe, email@example.com, Worcester, USA
Shun Foreman, firstname.lastname@example.org, Texas, USA
Eloise Neeley, email@example.com, New Zealand
Jen Unwin, firstname.lastname@example.org, UK
Julie Clark, email@example.com, Virginia, USA
Amber Wenthworth, firstname.lastname@example.org, Texas, USA
Cost of HMA® training:
The current cost for HMA® certification training is $4,350 (USD). Payment plans are available. Save 15% with full payment in advance. Enjoy an additional 20% discount for taking both HMA® and SUGAR® certification courses within 12 months. Click here to register for SUGAR® training and certification.
Registrants will be invoiced. Payments are accepted via bank transfer or PayPal.
To discuss a payment plan arrangement, please email Bitten Jonsson.
This online course is held via a combination of live Zoom sessions, pre-recorded lectures, and a closed Facebook group, with self-study and homework assignments between sessions. It includes video and workbook resources that will prepare you to launch your own private practice or join an existing practice. All live webinars are recorded for 24/7 student access afterward.
Click here to register.
Class schedule and reading list will be provided on request.